Tuesday 14 November 2017

Juvenile birds

It seems late in the year for birds to appear to be juveniles. I think our birds had several broods, based on our nests on our property. Here is a juvenile grosbeak, he was just switching over to his adult male plumage. This was September, 2014.


 I spotted a pair of birds under the feeder on Friday, November 10th. Consensus on the experts on Twitter is that they are juvenile red-winged blackbirds. They will lose the speckles soon.
Blackbirds from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Regarding the feeders...
I've noticed that the one feeder is VERY popular, as it has the rich peanuts and other high protein seeds. That is the longer feeder. Then, I noticed that the brown feeder is more popular than the red one. I think it is something to do with the ledge. The theory is that the large birds won't bother with it, but they do. It was supposed to be for the smaller birds. I think, for my birthday, I want one that excludes the large bully birds, like the blue jays!

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

It must have been a good nesting year for the birds.

Powell River Books said...

Sadly I had to take down the feeders. Yesterday the Song Sparrow came by so I put out a cup of seeds on the deck and he enjoyed them immensely. Had to take the cup in at night not to attract mice or the blue jay. - Margy

Anvilcloud said...

Pretty hard to combat the bully birds based on a short time of trying back in the day.

Anvilcloud said...

Pretty hard to combat the bully birds based on a short time of trying back in the day.